- 13-Mar-2017 to 02-Jun-2017 (MST)
- KIRO FM News
- Seattle, WA, USA
- Unpaid Internship
KIRO Radio internships are 8-12 week (unpaid) opportunities for college students to gain a fuller understanding of the broadcast industry and expand their skill sets. Bonneville Seattle is seeking students with a strong desire to learn more about the world of media, news writing/editing/reporting, and digital content production.
A news internship at KIRO 97.3 FM will provide a comprehensive overview of a radio news and talk operation as well as develop the skills needed in various newsroom positions. During the twelve week program interns will move through a series of positions and working with one or several mentors, become competent in the specialized duties of those roles. Interns will also see how the individual positions are related and how the entire team functions.
The training program will be divided into five segments:
• Week One: Overall introduction / Basic technical training
• Week Two - Four: Training on the editor's desk / Basic news writing
• Week Five – Seven: Training as in house and field reporter
• Week Eight – Ten: Training as producer and anchor
• Week Eleven – Twelve: Training as web reporter and conclusion
At the end of each segment interns will submit samples to show their progress and receive an evaluation with feedback from the Managing Editor. The above schedule is flexible to allow for different rates of progress and can be extended based on the intern's progress. At the conclusion of the entire program, interns will again have an evaluation and be asked for feedback about the program.
Individual Segment Breakdown:
Intern training is designed to build skills from the basic to the advanced and to mirror the usual progression of positions that a full time employee at KIRO would experience. In each segment interns will be working under the general supervision of the Managing Editor and aided by mentors who are experienced professionals.
- 18+ and registered as a current student, eligible for internship credit through their educational institution
- Upon selection intern will be asked to sign an agreement and provide proof of internship credit
- Schedule is between 15-25 hours/week depending on school requirements
- Basic computer knowledge (Office programs, social media platforms)